Yoga is immensely helpful if you want to live a healthy life irrespective of the weather and climate based on the region you live in. This particular post is related specifically to the Asian subcontinent where winters are approaching and people want to learn and practice yoga, but these techniques are relevant for any other place too. When cold strikes in full ferocity, yoga can help you stay warm in winters. It can also help you to make yourself more immune and lead a healthier life. If you have joint problems and breathing problems or you are more prone to catching cold then this article will prove to be very beneficial to you.
Learn Yoga For Winters
Yoga is something that you can do all through the year as it a number of benefits. Despite of that the main purpose of this post is to tell about some yoga poses and techniques that can help you to deal with health problems that generally come with winters. No matter how old or young you are these problems are common to most people like:
- Joint pains
- If you have hurt yourself then the pain increases in winters
- Breathing problems
- Skin problems
- Hair fall
We will recommend some yoga poses that can help you to deal with all these problems and many more such concerns that you may face in winters. Another problem with winters is that people cannot go for walks and jogging as the weather outside is too cold and might be snowing as well. As a result people stay indoors and are unable to do physical activities. This yoga for winters can be done in the comfort of your house. This will help you to stay active even in the coldest months of the year.
Yoga can be immensely beneficial in the winters. If you are having breathing problems and you catch cold easily you can try pranayam. In winters the chances of catching cold becomes higher for people who have a low immunity. To improve the immunity pranayam can be very effective. It is a breathing technique that can be practiced by all. You just need to find a peaceful location and you must concentrate on your breath in and out. As you do that your respiratory organs and your nose gets cleansed as a result you become more equipped to fight the cold. We recommend this yoga to all. Start with ten rounds of breath in and out and slowly increase the number of rounds. Follow the natural pace of your breathing.
In the winters the body becomes less active as a result the circulation of the blood reduces. This is one common reason for joint pains. Many people who generally do not have any joint pain will complain of joint pains in winters. You can get rid of these pains with simple yoga. Just ensure you do some rounds of these yogas on regular basis. Preferably try to do these yoga asanas early in the morning.
- Surya namaskar is very effective in joint pain. It improves the circulation of blood all across the body as a result ensures that you suffer less from joint pain. We have an article dedicated to the topic of Suryanamaskara that you can read to increase your knowledge on the subject. Some three to five rounds of the Suryanamaskara is good enough. However, we must mention here that not all can do the Suryanamaskara. If you are not physically fit enough to do the Suryanamaskara then you can try the other forms of yoga that we will mentioned here.
- If you have joint pain in the knees then you can try the makrasana and the tadasana. In makrasana you need to sit on the floor. Your legs should be folded in a padmasan position. Now lie on the floor using this position. If initially you are not able to do so with practice you can definitely get success. You can use your hands to hold your legs in order to do this asana. In tadasana you just need to stand straight. Your back should be straight. Keep inhaling and exhaling as you do this asana. This will make you feel more relaxed and help you to reduce the knee pain. There is one more asana called the Veerasana that you can practice in order to reduce joint pain in winters. You need to sit on the floor on your knees. Your hands should be placed on your legs. Be as relaxed as possible and then breathe in and out slowly.
NB: we will be posting details about these asanas mentioned above with pictures and/or videos
Learn To Be Active
The trick is to be active. The more active you are your health problems will reduce. The Suryanamaskara and the Pranayam can be very good for reducing hair fall too. Similarly when you do these asanas you will feel how your skin is getting a glow and the dryness is reducing. This is mainly because these asanas increase the supply of blood to all parts of the body as a result it improves the texture of the skin.
Let us now learn some tips on yoga for winters:
- You must ensure that you are dressed up adequately before you start learning yoga in the winters. You must get a good pair of thermals as you practice yoga in winters. If the body is not warm you will feel uncomfortable and you will not be able to do the yoga correctly.
- Take some time to warm up and then do the yoga. Ensure that you wear your thermals at least ten minutes before you start doing the yoga.
- If you have a bad cold or you are having fever skip the yoga session for the day. Doing yoga in such bad health condition will not do any good and only aggravate the situation.
- Yoga mat is a must have in winters as the floor will be cold and direct touch with the floor can increase your chances of getting cold. So please grab a good yoga mat before you start practicing yoga in the winters.
- If you sweat while doing the yoga ensures that you change into proper dry clothes soon. If you step out in these wet clothes yoga will not be able to help you. Yoga can improve your immunity but if you do not take the basic care required you will fall sick.
NB: some of our readers suggested that the whole aim of yoga is to make the body rise above heat and cold so why all these precautions. We want to say that it is true, but a beginner has to follow all rules before breaking them.
These are the different yoga for winters that you must learn and try. They will really help you to live a healthier and a better life. With this simple yoga for winters you will be able to fight the winter colds better. Have a lovely winter and keep practicing the yoga regularly. Take care!