Vedic Astrology is an ancient science that originated in ancient India. It is documented in the ancient scriptures known as Vedas and is also known by the term ‘jyotish-meaning the science of light’. The basis of this science is planetary positions and motions. Various planets and their positions have an impact on humans on earth.
Astrology as a science requires one to have a correct understanding of:
- The correct position of planets at a given point of time and
- The correct position of fixed star signs (zodiac) in relation to a specific place on earth.
Using this information the astrologer can construct charts that can be used to make conclusions.
According to Vedic Astrology, there are 27 constellations that are made up of 12 zodiac signs. Vedic Astrology recognizes 9 planets and 12 houses. Each house and planet represents a specific aspect of human life. Depending on the time when an individual is born the 12 signs are distributed among the 12 houses and 9 planets in the various houses. A horoscope chart (pictorial representation) representing the placement of houses and planets is termed as a horoscope chart.
Types of Vedic Astrology
Vedic Astrology has three branches. These branches are:
- Siddhanta Astronomy: Siddhanta is a branch of astronomy and revolves around application of the same to astronomy.
- Samhita Astrology: Samhita astrology revolves around predicting important events related to countries. These events could be wars, political events, earthquakes etc.
- Hora Astrology:This is the most common form of astrology. It is very vast and covers different aspects of an individual. Some of the important branches of vedic astrology are:
- Jaatak Shaastra: This form of Hora Astrology allows the astrologer to make predictions based on the horoscope.
- Muhurt Shastra: This branch allows selecting a beneficial time for initiating important activities.
- Swar Shaastra: Swar shastra is a form of astrology that uses the name of an individual to make predictions.
- Ankjyotisha: This branch is vedic numerology.
- Nadi Astrology: An ancient practice that is based on the belief that the past, present and future of every being on earth was forseen by the sages.
- Varsha Phal: This form of astrology makes predictions is based on annual solar returns.
All these forms of astrology will be discussed in detail in separate articles. Vedic astrology is one of the most interesting branch of knowledge. Right from career moves to love life to physical ailments all can be predicted using a combination of various branches of vedic astrology.